I can’t believe a new year AND a new decade are right around the corner. Where did time go? This has been a full year of great blessings and also a lot of personal growth (a few trials here and there). I feel that I’ve finally figured out this whole blogging thing (there’s waaay more to this than projects and posts). This was also the first year a few of my projects were published in a magazine (thanks to the publications of Farmhouse Style and Country Sampler). Before we ring in the new year, I wanted to share my The Best Home DIY’s and Furniture Flips of 2019.
This was the year we dove head first into adding details to our home to make it “ours.”
Home DIY’s and furniture flips are the heartbeat of this blog.
I created many crafts and seasonal projects throughout the year too, but today I’m just sharing my favorite home and furniture projects.
- At the beginning of the year I created a homework station with an IKEA desk for my kids so they could color and, well, do homework.
My kids really enjoy this desk more than I ever thought they would. My daughter LOVES to color here. More than that, it’s a great place to store all their paper, homework, markers and supplies.
- My next favorite home DIY of 2019 was giving the corner of our bedroom a makeover with DIY corner curtains. I also shared my favorite affordable recliner from Walmart in the post.
After I completed the corner curtains in our bedroom, I was inspired to create my own office space. Since we don’t have an extra room for this, I had to get creative.
- I’d previously used an old filing cabinet to store all the things. Since we lack in storage space and don’t have a closet to hide it in, I had to give this industrial filing cabinet a good makeover.
- I was so pleased with the way my new filing cabinet looked that I quickly created an “office space” for myself with a DIY hairpin leg table. This was and is the easiest table I’ve ever made.
- By the way, do you notice that lovely faux shiplap? My next favorite project is the DIY sharpie shiplap.
I created an entire entryway makeover with just a sharpie and a few new accessories.
What a difference a few lines on a wall makes!
- Getting back to our master bedroom, I finally gave our old cherry dressers a makeover with peel and stick wood planks from Stikwood.
This is a great beginner DIY for someone who wants to completely makeover a piece of furniture without having to do a lot of woodwork.
I was on a furniture makeover roll at this point so I decided to keep going.
- Next I gave an old painted bench a makeover with a DIY painted weathered wood technique.
My absolutely favorite project of 2019 is below. EEEEK, I’m still so pleased with it.
- This is my DIY feature wall with board and batten.
The board and batten and the tone on tone color really gave the room a focal point. I love how you walk in from the front door and see this!
My next favorite furniture flip (or should I say furniture build) from 2019 is a DIY scrap wood X style table.
- This DIY X style sofa table has been a perfect addition to our family room.
- Speaking of tables, I gave my moms Queen Anne Cherry table a good table top makeover with Chalk paint.
I shared details on how to create a durable chalk paint finish for a high traffic surface. So far (six months in) she has had no issues with how it’s held up!
Let me share another bench makeover.
- I was gifted an old bench that was previously stained and heavily varnished. I was determined to find a way to apply wood stain over the previous wood stain. I believe I successfully accomplished my goal.
Moving back to the mater bedroom, I just finished one of the easiest wall transformations with a fun peel and stick product.
You know I’m all about peel and stick products. They’re easy on, even easier off and great for renters or those of us that like to re decorate often (ME!).
I still have a little more time for more home DIY’s or furniture flips until we ring in the new year.
That being said, I don’t want to get ahead of myself. So I think I’ll stop there for this year.
It’s been a fairly productive year and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the next.
I’m signing off until after Christmas. Take care and have a safe and blessed holiday!