You know how the best restaurants are sometimes found in a “hole in the wall?” I think that’s true for a lot of things; even thrift stores. I had been “dying” to try some milk paint, so when I stumbled upon a great furniture piece recently, I knew exactly what I was going to do.
It all started when I was on my way to pick my son up from school. I passed this little “hole in the wall” thrift store that I had been eyeing for quite a while now, so I finally decided it was time to make a quick pass through. As I walked in I could smell the “filth,” you know what I mean. My eyes glanced to the right, and AHHHHHH, there it was. You know the feeling when you walk into a store and see exactly what you had been on the hunt for? I immediately ran up to it, looking it all over for a price tag. Nothing. I asked the sales lady very calmly, “do you know how much this is?” she responded, “you know honey, it just came in yesterday. It looks like it was used as a saw horse because someone has clearly made cut marks. I will give it to you for 5$” Ahhhh, my insides were screaming with excitement. I said, “sure, I’ll take it.” I paid, packed her up in the mini, and off we went with my new find.
These small cut marks are what the sales lady was talking about when she referred to the table as a “saw horse.” Nothing a little wood filler couldn’t fix.
After I cleaner her up, I lightly sanded the entire piece because it looked like someone had painted and then repainted and repainted. Then I filled in the “holes” as well as I could with wood filler. Then I sanded again…
This table has really been more of an experiment because I had only planned on doing a little sanding, then a few coats of Milk paint and then distressing. But the more I worked, the more ideas I had, and the more work it became.
After I sanded it, I painted it with General Finishes Milk paint old White and then decided I wanted color- So I added some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Grey to the top and the legs. I decided a “two toned” look might be nice.
I still wasn’t happy with it and thought I wanted more than just grey, so maybe a faux wood top? Off to Lowe’s for a thin strip of wood to stain. I decided to buy BIRCHWOOD because it was very thin, cheap, and Lowe’s was able to cut it to the size I needed to fit the top of the table. After staining the birchwood, I used wood glue to attach it to the table.
Then I decided the legs need to match the top. I used Annie Sloan Dark Wax for the legs so they would match the top better. After completing all four legs I STILL wasn’t happy because the legs STILL looked different than the top, so off to paint the top with ASCP Grey. I then sanded the top to give it a more “distressed” look to match the legs, then completed it with the dark wax.
Even though it took longer than expected, overall I’m pleased with how it turned out.
Stay tuned for more!